Explorers and travelers seeking an escape from the ordinary will find a wealth of activities and experiences to indulge in. Here’s a comprehensive guide to the top things to do in The Fens.
Embrace Nature’s Bounty
- Nature Reserves and Wetlands: Explore the enchanting nature reserves like the Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve and the RSPB Ouse Washes. Birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts will revel in the diverse avian species and breathtaking landscapes.
- Boating and Waterways: The Fens are adorned with a network of rivers, canals, and waterways, offering opportunities for leisurely boating or canal tours. Hire a boat or join a guided excursion to absorb the tranquility of the region from the water.
Dive into History and Heritage
- Historic Landmarks: Immerse yourself in the rich history of The Fens by visiting historic landmarks like Ely Cathedral, the historic market town of Wisbech, and the Oliver Cromwell’s House, each brimming with tales of the past.
- Museums and Heritage Sites: Discover the heritage and local stories at museums such as the Wisbech and Fenland Museum, Octavia Hill Birthplace Museum, and Prickwillow Engine Museum, offering insights into the region’s industrial and cultural past.
- Cycling and Walking Trails: Embark on scenic cycling or walking trails, such as the Fens Cycle Trail or the Hereward Way, allowing you to explore the picturesque countryside and charming villages at your own pace.
- Fishing and Wildlife Watching: Engage in angling at various fishing spots or set up for wildlife watching along the riverbanks and nature reserves to witness the diverse fauna that call The Fens home.
- Local Festivals and Events: Participate in vibrant local festivals and events like the Straw Bear Festival, Wisbech Rose Fair, and Eel Day in Ely, celebrating the region’s traditions and culture.
- Arts and Crafts: Visit galleries, artisan workshops, and craft markets to appreciate the local art scene and maybe even take home a piece of authentic Fenland craftsmanship.
- Farm Shops and Local Produce: Explore farm shops and markets to sample and purchase fresh local produce, including the renowned Fenland celery, as well as artisan cheeses and meats.
- Pubs and Dining: Indulge in the local gastronomy by dining at traditional pubs or restaurants, savoring regional specialties and locally brewed ales.
Practical Tips for Exploration
- Local Guides and Tours: Consider guided tours or hire local guides to get an in-depth understanding of the region’s history and hidden gems.
- Seasonal Considerations: Keep in mind seasonal activities and events, planning your visit to coincide with festivals or nature’s special moments.
The Fens offer an array of activities catering to diverse interests, inviting travelers to unearth the beauty and charm of this distinct English region. Whether it’s indulging in the tranquility of nature, delving into history, or relishing the local culture, there’s something for every adventurer in The Fens.